Restoration of Frisco 1501 locomotive in Schuman Park
The engine and passenger car have been completely restored by employees USA Tours, and other community volunteers in partnership with the Rolla Parks and Recreation Department.
The train was built by the Baldwin locomotive works in 1923 for the St. Louis – San Francisco Railway specifically for passenger service in hilly terrain like in the Ozarks. The passenger car was built in 1883 by the Barney and Smith Car Company of Dayton, Ohio.
The train has a 4,500-gallon oil burning boiler and weighs 350,000 pounds. It was deeded to the city of Rolla on June 13, 1955 and has been on display at Schuman Park ever since.