It's the third year for the family friendly event, Lichternacht (Light the Night), in downtown Rolla. On Friday, Dec. 6, beginning at 5:30 p.m. the festivities begin in participating businesses in downtown Rolla. Business will be open for later hours and feature area performers and special holiday displays.
Each act will make a seven minute presentation as attendees move from business to business, collecting punches in the their “Tannenbaum” (christmas tree cards). Once six punches are collected, the Tannenbaum can be redeemed for a free s’mores kit at Seventh and Pine streets by the fire pit and s’more stations. Two very special collections will be making their debut this year at Lichternacht.
The Design Shoppe, next to Kent Jewelry, will feature a window display of Santas from the Brackhahn’s Santa Claus Collection. These Santas were collected by the Brackhahn’s from all over the world. Fr. Greg Meystrik, priest at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, will be displaying his international collection of nativity scenes at Trips and More Travel Agency.
The following entertainers are scheduled to appear in these businesses:
• Hoppers Pub – Selfies with Santa in the private meeting room. Get your pictures with Santa and his elves or listen to “Velvet Bricks” in the main room.
• Kent Jewelry – Leeann Robertson – Christmas Stories with the Rolla Police Department.
• The Design Shoppe – Brackhahn Santa window display.
• Phelps County Bank – area piano students from the studios of Kimberly Murphy at 5:30 p.m. Kathy Mazzeo at 6:05 p.m., and the RCAS Jazz Choir at 6:40 p.m. performing in the lobby. Keyboard from Merle’s Music.
• PC Tech – Uwe and Ulrike selfie board, and the RCAS Carolers.
• Red Door Gifts & Boutique – Route 66 Brass and Missouri S&T Tuba and Euphonium Ensemble will be playing at the corner of Seventh and Pine streets.
• Rolla Public Library Children’s Library - Fine Linen Drama will have popular characters in the meeting room, while the library staff will host “make and take” crafts for the kids.
• Soda and Scoops on Route 66 – Among Sundry will be playing and singing holiday favorites.
• Taylor’s Jewelry – Faith and Friends Carolers from the Rolla High School Chamber Choir.
• 3 Sisters Resale & Consignment – Doris Backes-Delp will be playing and singing holiday music.
• Trips and More Travel Agency – display of International Nativity Scenes provided by Fr. Greg Meystrik.
• Uptown Bridal and Florist – Gana Harris Hammered Dulcimer will be playing music for the season.
The Hillbilly Shack Food Truck will be parked at the Pine and 10th street intersection with a variety of food. S’more kits and hot spiced cider will be available in the lobby of the Wands building at Seventh and Pine streets by the fire pit. S’mores kits are free with six punches in your Tannenbaum card, or available for $1.
The Ozark Spirit Cloggers will be performing in the Library Plaza in front of the community Christmas Tree at 6:45 p.m. Followed by the Shamrock Irish Dancers at 7 p.m. The official Community Christmas Tree Lighting is scheduled for 7:15 p.m. in the Library Plaza. Mayor Louis Magdits will throw the switch to light the community tree. The Rolla Community Children’s Choir Una Voce and Cantiamo will sing as well as singers from all of the area schools who will perform “Spirit of the Season” and “O Tannenbaum” as the tree is lit.
After the tree lighting follow the dancers to the Christkindl Markt area on Seventh Street for a Polka Party featuring the World’s Finest Rolla German Band performing in the Rolla Rotary Clubs tent on Seventh Street. Alicia Smith and the Shamrock Irish Dancers will be there to provide Polka Lessons. The Fire Pit and s’more stations will be open and available after the tree lighting as well. All of your favorite German foods will be available in the Christkindl Markt tent in the Public House parking lot.
Brats from O’Doggy’s, potato pancakes and spiral potatoes from the Knights of Columbus, beverages from Public House including Glühwein, German pretzels from the Rolla Breakfast Rotary Club, and much, much, more. The dancing will continue until around 9 p.m. along with a Carol Sing presented by the Beer Choir Rolla.
This is the third annual Lichternacht (Light the Night) event presented by the Rolla Area Sister Cities Committee and the Rolla Downtown Business Association to celebrate the season and honor our Sister City Sondershausen, Germany.
Financial supporters include: Rolla Area Chamber of Commerce, Rolla Noon Kiwanis Club, Phelps County Bank, Rolla Breakfast Rotary Club, Rolla Noon Rotary Club, Central Federal, as well as donations from individuals in our community.
Goods and services for the event have been provided by: City of Rolla, Rolla Technical Institute - Building Trades Class, Paul’s Furniture, Meeks Lumber, “Fresh Eyes Inc,” USA Tours, and Public House Brewing.