ROLLA, Mo. – Missouri S&T's men's basketball team hung in Monday's Great Lakes Valley Conference contest with William Jewell for better than 27 minutes, but was unable to stem a big Cardinal run during the middle of the second half and ended up on the losing end of an 88-67 decision at Billy Key Court.

The Miners (2-13, 0-7 GLVC) and Cardinals (15-2, 5-2 GLVC) were tied at 53 after a Chris Harris (Antioch, IL/Lake Forest Academy) jumper in the lane with 12:46 to play.  But right after that basket, Jewell raced up the floor to take the lead back on an Easton Koch lay-in – a basket that started a 13-0 run that eventually ballooned into a 27-4 outburst by the time it ended about seven minutes later.

S&T went toe-to-toe with the Cardinals from the opening tip as neither team held a lead of more than four points over the first 11 minutes of action.  The Miners went up by four on a pair of Romain Louiserre (La Ferte Alais, France/Fredrick Fays) free throws with just over nine minutes to go in the half and eventually had a five-point lead of 32-27 after Allante Pickens (Chicago, IL/Curie) drained a three-pointer at the 4:18 mark.

After the Cardinals regained the lead, S&T took the lead one more time in the half on a three by Ervin Sarajlic (St. Louis, MO/Oakville), but Jewell scored the final four points of the half to take a 40-37 lead to the break.

The contest remained nip-and tuck during the first seven minutes of the second half, with S&T overcoming a four-point Jewell lead to move back in front at 51-50 on a Sarajlic basket.  A Keith Hayes three-pointer gave the lead back to the Cardinals 22 seconds later, but Harris drove the lane on the Miners' next trip down the floor and knocked down the contested shot to even the game back up at 53.

But during the 27-4 run that followed, the Miners – who had made six of their first 10 shots of the second half to that point – went only one-of-nine from the field and also committed four turnovers, three of which turned into points at the other end for the Cardinals.

The Miners hit 40 percent of their shots in the game, but made only 37.5 percent of their attempts after the intermission.  Pickens led S&T with 19 points, while Harris finished with 17 and Louiserre with 15 and 11 rebounds for his second double-double in three games.

Pharroh Gordon had 21 points and Hayes had 20 to lead Jewell, who shot 56.7 percent over the final 20 minutes and made eight of its 11 three-pointers in that span.

Missouri S&T will open a three-game road stretch Thursday when it faces Southern Indiana in a 7:30 p.m. contest in Evansville, Ind.