Earlier this month, Missouri Governor Greitens announced his plans to add 800 new National Guard Jobs to the state. Part of the growth is taking place here in Rolla with the 1136th Military Police Company, operating out of the Rolla National Guard Armory.

Earlier this month, Missouri Governor Greitens announced his plans to add 800 new National Guard Jobs to the state. Part of the growth is taking place here in Rolla with the 1136th Military Police Company, operating out of the Rolla National Guard Armory.


According to Staff Sergeant Brian Beard, the Missouri National Guard has been pushing for more jobs for a long time, trying to reach the 10,000 mark. Once they reach that point, Sgt. Brian said more funding becomes available, and more opportunities arise to boos the local economy.

“We’ve always been so close to it, we’re right at around 92,000 right now,” he said. “We’re trying to get to 10,000 because when you become a 10,000 state, that’s more funding, more jobs and new units that come into the state, so it brings in a lot of revenue.”

According to the Associated Press, Governor Greitens said the 800 new jobs are expected o have $15 million economic impact on the state. He also stated 85% of the jobs were for full-time guardsmen and the remaining 15% would be available for civilians in the state.

The 1136th Military Police Company added by Governor Greitens’ plan functions similar to regular law enforcement when a state of emergency is called, according to Sgt. Beard. As they are often the first responders on behalf of the National Guard, they often try to deescalate situations, and are the unit most experienced in working with civilians.


According to Sgt. Beard, the recruits added by the job expansion are mostly new, with no prior military experience, and received training at Fort Leonard Wood, which also trains members of the Missouri National Guard’s Engineering units.

“I would say 90% of the people that come in and fill these units are new,” added Sgt. Beard.

According to Sgt. Beard, this addition of more Military Police to the Missouri National Guard doesn’t reflect an increased  military presence so much as helps the Guard continue to do what it’s always done.

“In the state of Missouri, we have two major MOS’s (military job codes) that we’ve always had,” said Sgt. Beard “We’ve always had a lot of MP’s, and we’ve always had a lot of engineers. There’s probably a greater algorithm and reason to why they do that than what I’m familiar with, but it is centrally located within the United States. If someone needs MP’s, Missouri can take care of it. Every state has kind of got their niche. Our Niche is MP’s and engineers.”

The increase of Military Police will allow them to offer additional response when a state of emergency is declared. Sgt. Beard said that in his past experiences as a former Military Police Officer, he’s received positive reactions from law enforcement when his unit arrived on the scene to offer assistance, such as during the Ferguson riots in St. Louis.

Currently there are 200 soldiers operating out of the Missouri National Guard Armory in Rolla. Each of the soldiers there, according to Sgt. Beard, can be called to nearly any situation.

“Everybody in the guard, not just the 1136th, could be called to do anything at any given time. It could be something stateside…it could be something out of the state,” he explained. But regardless of where they are called to, Sgt. Beard said their job remains the same.

“To serve and protect,” he said.

In addition to the 1136th Military Police Company in Rolla and Lebanon, Missouri also gained a new Transportation Battalion in Fredericktown and a new Transportation Company in Anderson and MOnett, as well as Bridgeton and Columbia.