JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – Despite being held in check for much of the afternoon, Missouri S&T broke away from a game Lincoln squad in the second half and completed a sweep of its five-game road stretch with a 37-3 Great Lakes Valley Conference victory at Dwight Reed Stadium.

The Miners were held to just 94 yards in the first half, but bounced back on the offensive side and outscored the Blue Tigers 23-0 in the final 30 minutes – marking the fourth straight week that S&T has held an opponent scoreless in the second half – to improve to 5-2 overall and 3-0 in the GLVC.

S&T got off to a fast start in the contest, scoring its their first play from scrimmage when Tyler Swart (Dickinson, TX/Dickinson) connected with Josh Brown(Gainesville, FL/North Marion HS) for a 44-yard pass and putting another touchdown 1:42 later as Roderick Chapman (Los Angeles, CA/Jefferson) picked off a Drake Davidson pass and returned it 32 yards to the end zone.

However, the Miner offense bogged down after getting the early scores, as the touchdown play was the only one the unit ran from scrimmage in the first 11 minutes of play and accumulated only 50 yards following the Brown touchdown reception.   But while the offense struggled to get into a rhythm, the S&T defense held down the fort as it kept Lincoln out of the end zone during the first 30 minutes.

The Blue Tigers' only points in the first half came on a 33-yard field goal by Wolky Betancourt in the early stages of the second quarter.

S&T opened the second half with a 66-yard scoring drive, capped by a three-yard scoring run by Deshawn Jones (Olympia Fields, IL/Rich Central).  The drive saw Swart make two big completions, one of 20 yards to Brown on a third down play and another covering 19 yards to Austin Griffin (West Palm Beach, FL/Oxbridge Academy) that preceded the Jones touchdown run.

Later in the half, the Miners  -- aided by two third down penalties on Lincoln that led to automatic first downs – drove 98 yards for another score; the drive was capped by a 15-yard scoring run by D'Luis West (Troup, TX/Troup).  On the next play after the kickoff, the Miners recorded a safety when Tershawn Wharton (University City, MO/University City) knocked the ball away from Davidson, who then recovered the loose ball in the end zone to prevent an S&T touchdown.

West scored again after the Miners got the ball back following the free kick, scoring on a 12-yard run to push the S&T lead to the eventual final score midway through the fourth quarter.

The Miners finished with 328 yards of offense, with Jones clearing the 100-yard mark for the fifth straight game with 115 yards on 23 carries, while West recorded 46 more and the two scores.  Swart completed 11-of-16 passes for 176 yards, with Brown catching four of the completions for 67 yards.

Austin Truvillion (Kansas City, MO/Park Hill) led the Miner defense, which held the Blue Tigers (1-5, 0-3 GLVC) to just 199 yards of offense in the contest, with 10 tackles while Justin Onwugbufor (Maize, KS/Northwest) finished with eight stops.  The Miners also recorded five sacks – two by Wharton – and held Lincoln to only nine net yards rushing.

The Miners will return to Allgood-Bailey Stadium for their first home game since Sept. 9 next week, as they host McKendree in a 7 p.m. contest.  Next week's game will be the Miners' annual Hall of Fame Game.