The S&T soccer team played a pair of GLVC matches over the wekend, hosting Quincy on Friday, Sept. 22, before beating Truman State on Sunday, Sept. 24. The Miners earned shutouts in each of their victories, pushing their GLVC win streak to three games.

Missouri S&T made a first half goal from David Murphy (Naperville, IL/Naperville Central) hold up as it recorded its second straight Great Lakes Valley Conference win Friday night, as the Miners won a hard-fought 1-0 decision over Quincy at the S&T Soccer Field.

The victory was the first for the Miners over the Hawks since 2006, ending an 11-game winless streak against Quincy.  The Hawks had recorded eight consecutive wins in that streak over S&T until the teams played to a tie a year ago.

But Friday, the teams went back-and-forth throughout the first half until the Miners drew first blood in the 28thminute of play when Murphy drilled a direct free kick from just outside the box past Quincy goalkeeper Nate Griffin.

The Hawks did end the first half with an 8-6 advantage in the shots in the first 45 minutes, then ramped up the pressure on the Miner defense over the course of the second half.  However, S&T stood tall and Miner goalkeeper Aaron Hohenstein (St. Louis, MO/Lutheran South) turned away all five Quincy shots on net in the half, including a pair of head ball efforts during the final 13 minutes.

Hohenstein, who finished with eight saves in the contest, stopped a head ball effort by Justin Armfield in the 78th minutes, then stopped another by Michael Timmerman in the 87th minute following a corner kick.

Quincy also made a final rush to score in the waning seconds, but the Miner defense prevented the Hawks from getting a shot off as time expired.

The Hawks (3-3, 2-2 GLVC) had a 20-12 advantage in shots in the game.

Missouri S&T's men's soccer team picked up its third straight victory and its second consecutive via shutout Sunday afternoon as it blanked Truman State 2-0 at the S&T Soccer Field.

The Miners were up against a Truman State squad that played very aggressive on the offensive end of the field, but were able to take advantage of that aggressiveness to get both of their goals in the first half.

S&T's first goal came in the 13th minute when they got the ball into the offensive end and moved it through the Bulldog defense until David Murphy (Naperville, IL/Naperville Central) sent a through ball to an open Felipe Andrade (Belo Horizonte, Brazil/), who sent a shot past Truman goalkeeper Zac Suazo to put the Miners in front.

Later in the half, in the 43rd minute, the Miners got loose on a two-on-one on the Bulldogs' end of the field and Murphy chipped a ball over the head of a charging Suazo to make it 2-0.

Truman (2-7, 1-5 GLVC) had an 8-5 advantage in shots in the first half and outshot the Miners 18-11 for the game, but its best scoring chance came between the two S&T goals in the 28th minute, when Josh Hall sent a shot back in on a clearing attempt that Miner goalkeeper Aaron Hohenstein (St. Louis, MO/Lutheran South) jumped into the air to knock away.

Hohenstein recorded his second straight shutout with seven saves and ninth of his S&T career, moving him into a tie for sixth place on the school's all-time list.  Meanwhile, Andrade's goal was his 21st as a Miner to move him into a tie for seventh all-time at S&T.

The Miners (4-3-1, 3-3 GLVC) return to action Friday when they face William Jewell at 7:30 p.m. in Liberty, Mo.