According to Rolla Fire and Rescue Chief Ron Smith, a call came in at 10:47 p.m. last night for a structure fire at a rental property on 1024 Lynwood Drive, owned by Dale Wands.

According to Rolla Fire and Rescue Chief Ron Smith, a call came in at 10:47 p.m. last night for a structure fire at a rental property on 1024 Lynwood Drive, owned by Dale Wands. Rolla Fire and Rescue firefighters were on the site within four minutes. Upon arrival, they saw heavy smoke pouring from the basement area of the home. The family of two adults and six children were home at the time of the fire, but everybody had been evacuated from the house.
“Our personnel entered the house and went down in the basement with an inch and a half hose and contained the fire to the basement area,” explained Chief Smith.
He said the fire originated in one of the bedrooms in the basement, but though it was contained, there was heat and water damage upstairs.
“There was a substantial burn in the basement area,” he noted.
The Chief said the fire was started by one of the children playing with lighters and candles. “He was unsupervised at the time and thankfully, no one was hurt.”
“We called the State Fire Marshall and are working with the juvenile office here in Rolla,” shared the Chief.
The juvenile will go through an eight-week fire-setter program with Assistant Chief Jeff Breen serving as the trainer, to try to prevent similar behavior in the future.
“In most cases, we’re very successful with the program,” said Chief Smith. “They (the family) were very helpful, in the sense that this was the first time for them to see there was a problem.”
“The American Red Cross is helping the family,” said Chief Smith. “They did a fantastic job helping them get a place to stay and secure clothing.”