|
|
The Rolla Daily News - Rolla, MO
  • Pet may be to blame for home fire

  • No injuries were reported in a Wednesday evening home fire believed to be caused by a family pet. St. James Fire Protection District Fire Chief Bruce Parton said fire personnel responded just after 6 p.m. to the blaze at a mobile home at 15695 Private Drive 1065, Lot 2.
    • email print
  • No injuries were reported in a Wednesday evening home fire believed to be caused by a family pet.
    St. James Fire Protection District Fire Chief Bruce Parton said fire personnel responded just after 6 p.m. to the blaze at a mobile home at 15695 Private Drive 1065, Lot 2.
    Firefighters had the fire under control at about 7:15 p.m., and left the scene at 7:35 p.m.
    “A family pet caused a candle to ignite the couch,” the chief said. “An occupant left the room, and the candle was lit on an end table next to the couch.
    “When the occupant came back into the room, a couch pillow was pushed up against the candle, and the pillow was on fire…The occupants were unable to put out the fire.”
    Parton said three adults and one child were renting the home, although two of the adults were not home at the time of the fire, which resulted in a total loss.
    “The front half of [the mobile home] was pretty well gutted,” Parton said. “We called the Red Cross to come out and help them get back on their feet and get them started.”
    Parton said 14 St. James firefighters were on the scene with four vehicles, along with one fire truck and three personnel from the Rolla Rural Fire Protection District.
    According to a press release from the American Red Cross Heart of Missouri Chapter, the occupants “lost all their possessions” and the Red Cross is providing “financial assistance for the clients to meet their immediate emergency needs with the purchase of food, clothing, shoes and a temporary motel stay.”
    The displaced occupants will also receive personal hygiene items and referrals to partner agencies.
    Parton said this is the first structure fire in almost two months in the district, the last being a home fire near High Gate off Highway H.
    Firefighters declined to specify the pet.

        calendar