|
|
The Rolla Daily News - Rolla, MO
  • Doolittle aldermen approve higher sewer rates

  • Monthly sewer rates for Doolittle business and residential properties have risen slightly for 2014. The new rates were approved by the city's board of alderman's Jan. 13.
    • email print
  • Monthly sewer rates for Doolittle business and residential properties have risen slightly for 2014.
    The new rates were approved by the city's board of alderman's Jan. 13.
    The ordinance which was approved unanimously for both types of properties is now $38 a month; this is $1 increase from 2013.
    Related rates for vacant lots are now  $10 a month, an $8.50 decrease from the previous year. Rates for trailer parks is now at $5.70 a month; roughly a 30-cent increase.
    Much discussion occurred on establishing a new sewer hook-up rate for new properties.
    The board also approved an ordinance which will require new city occupants to pay 75 percent of the installation while the city will cover the remaining 25 percent.
    This will replace the current system of occupants paying 50 percent and the city  paying the other half of the cost.
    The board and Mayor Paul Smith hope that this change will make it more attractive for residents and businesses to come to Doolittle.
    In other business:
    n City Clerk Della Bishop reported that tax collection is going well. So far, the city has collected $12,100 in real estate taxes. That is a 90 percent payment rate at this time. Late notices will go out toward the end of February.
    n Bishop also has been working on making sure city's accounts reflect true expenditures. For example a police account would be designated for all police funds. In the past, a number of accounts were simply paid from a general fund. This new system, she hopes, will allow for financial accountability.
    n City Maintenance Director Travis Gray reported that the bitter cold weather earlier  this month caused some pipes to break and said that water pumps are in need of fixing. As well, he did a lot of snow plowing around the city because of the snow that blanketed the area during the first week of January.
      • calendar