|
|
The Rolla Daily News - Rolla, MO
  • State and local fire officials urge caution in heating

  • Fire officials are urging Missourians to be careful when using space heaters and fireplaces to heat their homes.
    • email print
      Comment
  • Fire officials are urging Missourians to be careful when using space heaters and fireplaces to heat their homes.
    The state fire marshal's office says flammable objections should be kept at least 3 feet away from portable space heaters, fireplaces, wood-burning stoves and furnaces. Portable heaters should be turned off when leaving a room or going to bed.
    Ovens should never be used to heat a house, and people should not burn in their fireplaces Christmas tree branches, treated wood or wrapping paper.
    The advice comes as Missouri was confronting cold and wind Monday. The National Fire Protection Association says space heaters account for about one-third of home heating fires and 80 percent of home heating fire deaths each year.
    Rolla Fire Chief Robert Williams also reminds everybody to be “extremely careful” and strongly advises people to keep space heaters away from combustibles.
    He also said if pipes become frozen, use a hair dryer or an electic heat gun to warm it instead of an open flame. Williams also recommends leaving cabinet doors open where pipes are located and to let faucets drip to avoid frozen pipes.
    Paul Hackbarth, managing editor of the Rolla Daily News contibuted to this story.
          • »  EVENTS CALENDAR