Penalty-marred victory gives Miners third straight winning season.

The Missouri S&T football team may have set a couple of undesirable school records Saturday afternoon.

But that was okay with the Miners; they came in a winning performance.
S&T ended a looooong afternoon of football on Saturday, navigating through the game officials' whistles for a season-ending, 20-3 Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC) victory over the Quincy Hawks at Allgood-Bailey Stadium.

S&T ends the season with a 6-5 overall record and a 5-2 GLVC mark. It gives the Miners three consecutive winning seasons, the first time that has happened since the program had winning campaigns from 1977-85.

"So many things were leading up to this game," said Tyler Fenwick, the first S&T head coach to post a winning season in his first year since Charlie Finley in 1972. "So many reasons we needed to win it. It was really fun to see our kids afterwards. Our kids really got after it (Saturday)."

Quincy finishes 2-9 and 1-6.

In addition to extremely windy conditions and spitting rain, the game was marred by a rash of penalties. A total of 26 penalties were accepted by the two teams. S&T set a school record with 18 penalties for a school-record-tying 171 yards. In addition, a pair of Miner players - senior offensive lineman Ryan Grigsby in the first half and junior wideout Leon Moody in the second half - were ejected.

The Hawks had eight penalties for 93 yards.

"Just too many penalties," Fenwick said. "We jumped offsides a bunch. And there was some chipiness going on."

As was the case most of the season, the Miner defense was solid, keeping the Hawks - one of the highest-scoring teams in the conference - out of the endzone.

However, it took the Miner offense was slow to come around as well.

"It took us a while," Fenwick said. "We had a hard time getting the run game going. And with the wind it was difficult to pass. But we started to get it going when (freshman running back) DeSoto (Dickson) got that big run."

That big run came late in the second period when Dickson broke a couple of would-be tackles and scooted 41 yards for a touchdown. Senior Adam Peden provided the PAT and the Miners had a 7-0 lead with 2:17 remaining.

However, the Miner first-half scoring wasn't over.

The Hawks' offense was ineffective and they had to punt it back to S&T, and the Miners went into their two-minute offensive drill with 1:11 remaining.

Miner QB Peter Simpson had an 18-yard pass to freshman Chris Kennard and later hit Moody with three- and 13-yard pickups into Quincy territory.
Simpson went back to the air and found Moody for a 17-yard reception to get to the Quincy 24 and getting out of bounds to stop the clock.

With 10 seconds left and a timeout to burn if needed, Simpson found junior wideout Melvin Stovall on the right sidelines and Stovall dove into the endzone for a 24-yard TD reception. Peden's kick gave S&T a 14-0 halftime edge.

"That two-minute drill was really a nice drive," Fenwick said. "Melvin came up with a huge play."

Quincy got on the scoreboard in the third period. It appeared the Miner defense had held on third down. However, a roughing-the-passer penalty on S&T kept the drive alive. The Hawks drove to the Miner three before settling on a 20-yard field goal.

The Miners' final score also came in the third period after S&T senior linebacker Chris Horn intercepted a Nick Lonergan pass and returned it 31 yards. The 15-yard personal foul penalty by Quincy was tacked on and S&T took over at the Hawk 10. Freshman fullback Rob Cidlik would score the TD on third-and-goal from one yard out. The PAT attempt was blocked.

Dickson finished with 74 rushing yards and Kennard 54 for the Miners.

Simpson completed 21-of-35 passes for 241 yards. Moody caught seven passes for 110 yards.

S&T had 422 yards of total offense compared to just 202 for Quincy.

S&T 20, Quincy 3
Team Statistics
First downs: S&T 20, QU 14
Yards rushing: S&T 181, QU 71
Yards passing: S&T 241, QU 131
Total yards: S&T 422, QU 202
Passing: S&T 21-38, QU 15-47
Int. thrown: S&T 1, QU 2
Fumbles lost: S&T 1, QU 1
Penalties: S&T 18-171, QU 8-93
Punting: S&T 6-31.5, QU 7-40.6

The score by periods:
S&T 0 14 6 0-20
Quincy 0 0 3 0- 3
The scoring plays:
S&T: Dickson 41-yard run, Peden kick (2:17).
S&T: Stovall 24-yard pass from Simpson, Peden kick (:04).
Quincy: Allison 20-yard field goal (9:36).
S&T: Cidlik 1-yard run, kick blocked (7:07).

Individual Statistics
Rushing: S&T - Dickson 14 for 73, Kennard 12 for 53, Brown 1 for 28, Moody 2 for 18, Simpson 9 for 5, Major 5 for 3, Cidlik 1 for 1. Quincy - Lonergan 8 for 41, Wilburn 2 for 16, King 4 for 13, Flowers 6 for 5, Shelby 8 for 3, TEAM 1 for minus-7.
Passing: S&T - Simpson 21-35-241-0, Brown 0-2-0-1, Dussold 0-1-0-0. Quincy - Lonergan 15-47-131-2.
Receiving: S&T - Moody 7 for 110, Stovall 4 for 51, Kennard 3 for 44, Matthews 3 for 19, Pischak 1 for 8, Taylor 1 for 4, Dickson 1 for 3, Giljum 1 for 2. Quincy - Dickens 6 for 75, Poole 2 for 19, Malinowski 2 for 18, Wilburn 2 for 10, Eilerman 2 for 1, Flowers 1 for 8.
Tackle Leaders: S&T - Horn 3 (solo)-6 (assist), Emesih 3-4, Brown 5-0, Martin 4-1, Melber 4-1. Quincy - Camp 10-3, Onike 8-5, McNally 7-1, Berry 3-3.
Interceptions: S&T - Horn 1 for 31, Emesih 1 for 3. Quincy - Camp 1 for 0.
QB Sacks: S&T - Horn 1 for 4, Brown 1 for 6, Davey 1 for 4. Quincy - Camp 1 for 12, Onike 1 for 4, Day 1 for 4.