The basement of the Rolla Public Library looks like a book store this week, and rightfully so.
This Thursday, Nov 7. kicks off the Friends of the Library's book sale held twice a year.
According to Cathy Smith, library director, 90 percent of the books that fill the tables for the sale come from donations. The other 10 percent are pulled from the library's rotation.
Volunteer and Friends of the Library member Debbie Prater is in charge of sorting them all. She has been doing it since 1996. Before that she was a customer at the sales for many years.
"I love books and I love reading," Prater said.
She and around a dozen volunteers started setting up for the sale three weeks ago.
Books include fiction, non-fiction, history, biography, cooking and children's books among others.
Prices range from 10 cents for children's books to several dollars for newer and nicer books.
Prater told the Daily News that over the years, the sale has brought in several thousand dollars.
"If we have good books, we make more money," she said with a smile.
Proceeds from the sale go toward library programs. Over the years, money from the book sales has helped the children's library as well as the purchase of new computers, furnishings and books.
The three-day event begins Thursday, Nov. 7, at 5 p.m. for Friends of the Library members only. On Friday, Nov. 8, the sale will be from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
On Saturday, Nov. 9, the event begins at 9 a.m. and runs to 4:30 p.m. Starting at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, patrons can fill a bag for $1.
For more information, contact the Rolla Public Library at 364-2604.