West Plains native overall winner at Oak Meadow Country Club with even-par performance.
The temperature was climbing Thursday afternoon at Oak Meadow Country Club.
But Ben Charles' game stayed even-par cool.
Charles, who will be a senior at West Plains High School this coming school year, fired a consistently strong even-par 70 in Thursday's final round to match his Wednesday par and win the annual Ken Lanning Junior Golf Tournament, held at OMCC and directed by the Missouri Golf Association (MGA).
The 140 score turned in by Charles was five strokes better than runner-up Mark Martin, who is a Ozark Conference rival of Charles from Rolla High School, in the boys' age 16-18 division. Martin shot 71-74-145 to take second while Licking High School all-state golfer Ian Barnes was third in the 16-18 division at 77-72-149.
Winning the boys' 14-15 age group was Jefferson City's Tanner Elder, who shot 148 while the boys' 12-13 winner was Gallatin's Jett Simmons with 150.
The girls' overall 36-hole winner was Sedalia's Megan Keck, who shot 78-83-161 in the 16-18 division. Winning the girls' 12-13 division was Hamilton's Samantha Cornelius.
The top score in the 18-hole division – by far – was turned in by Sofia Gamayo of Imperial, who blitzed the short course with 35-35-70 in the girls' 10-11 age division.
There were 41 players in the field for Thursday's final round.
Scores: 36-Hole Division
Ben Charles, West Plains, 70-70-140
1. Ben Charles, West Plains, 70-70-140; 2. Mark Martin, Rolla, 71-74-145; 3. Ian Barnes, Licking, 77-72-149. Others: Jensen Tripper, Mount Vernon, 75-76-151; Tylor Carrico, Bourbon, 77-81-158; Ryan Juergens, Sullivan, 81-77-158; Hunter Cornelius, Hamilton, 79-79-158; Trent Dylan Young, Savannah, 80-82-162; Grant Simmons, Gallatin, 85-86-171; Denver Spurgeon, Rolla, 92-83-175; Trent Beeson, Doniphan, 89-93-182; Jonah Heitman, Rolla, 107-100-207.
1. Tanner Elder, Jefferson City, 75-73-148; 2. Walker Kesterson, Hartsburg, 80-71-151; 3. Stephen Sowers, Columbia, 75-78-153. Others: Bradley Rhoades, Gallatin, 87-87-174; Garett Juergens, Sullivan, 88-87-175; Ben Knoesel, Columbia, 87-94-181.
1. Jett Simmons, Gallatin, 73-77-150; 2. Bennett Tiefenbrunn, Sullivan, 78-76-154; 3. Ryan Richards, Stilwell, Kan., 88-88-176. Others: Cameron Copeland, Rolla, 112-96-208.
1. Megan Keck, Sedalia, 78-83-161; 2. Courtney Cox, West Plains, 91-79-170; 3. Pavin Jackson, Lebanon, 84-87-171. Others: Elise McDonough, Des Peres, 85-87-172; Nichole Marquis, Moberly, 86-89-175; Kelsey Moreland, Rolla, 104-94-198.
1. Samantha Cornelius, Hamilton, 79-86-165; 2. Olivia Sowers, Columbia, 85-93-178.
1. Joseph Fallis, Columbia, 49-51-100; 2. Jack Gesualdi, Rolla, 62-60-122; 3. Eli Heitman, Rolla, 72-66-137.
1. Xavier Gamayo, Imperial, 39-41-80; 2. Jack Jones, Wildwood, 73-69-142.
1. Chayton Jordan, Rolla, 67-61-128; 2. Chencan Jordan, Rolla, 77-65-142.
1. Sofia Gamayo, Imperial, 35-35-70.
1. Emma Hobbs, Rolla, 59-49-108; 2. Abby Hobbs, Rolla, 57-58-115.