|
|
The Rolla Daily News - Rolla, MO
  • Pot left unattended led to apartment fire

  • A pot left unattended on a stove led to a fire in the kitchen of an apartment building on Kingshighway Monday evening, according to the City of Rolla Fire and Rescue.
    • email print
  • A pot left unattended on a stove led to a fire in the kitchen of an apartment building on Kingshighway Monday evening, according to the City of Rolla Fire and Rescue.
    Assistant Fire Chief Ron Smith told The Rolla Daily News Tuesday that a call about the fire came in around 7:06 p.m. June 10. Two crews made up of a total of nine fire personnel responded to the fire at 1019 Kingshighway, Apartment 8.
    “What they (fire crews) found on arrival was light smoke coming from the apartment complex,” Smith said.
    Firefighters found that a pot had been left on the stove, which was on. Smith said the fire spread to nearby cabinets and the wall behind and above the stove but had burned itself out.
    Smith said the residents in the apartment had been gone for about an hour and a half. Fire damage was contained to the area around the stove with some smoke damage in an adjoining apartment, according to the assistant chief.
    The fire is estimated to have caused about $5,000 in damages.
    Rolla firefighters ventilated the building and turned it back over to the owner of the complex, Rudy Burrell.
    The American Red Cross Heart of Missouri Chapter is assisting the occupants of the apartment.
    Smith cautioned residents to not leave items unattended on the stove.

        calendar