Rolla man charged with selling heroin, escaping custody

A Rolla man who allegedly sold heroin to another individual led police on a short pursuit in his vehicle and then on foot before he was placed in custody Wednesday evening.

Then, once the suspect was placed in the back of a Rolla police car, for a moment he was not watched and he used that time to escape again on foot before being apprehended a second time.

At the time of his initial arrest, the subject, identified as 31-year-old Felton Metcalf Jr., of Rolla, faced multiple charges, including distribution of a controlled substance, felony resisting arrest by flight and a Crawford County warrant for a probation violation. An additional charge of escaping from custody was added to Metcalf's previous charges.

Metcalf's attempts to flee from the police took place shortly after street crimes officers with the Rolla Police Department attempted to conduct a traffic stop of the vehicle Metcalf was driving around 6:22 p.m. Wednesday as part of a narcotics investigation.

The investigation revealed that Metcalf had allegedly just conducted a narcotics transaction and had sold a quantity of heroin to another person.

When Rolla police tried to initiate a traffic stop near 10th Street and Independence Road in Rolla, Metcalf failed to stop and a vehicle pursuit began.

Police chased Metcalf through several streets in the southwest area of the city. Capt. Jason Smith, of the Rolla Police Department, said from what he knows of the incident, "several people were put in danger by the way the guy was driving. There were several near-miss accidents."

The pursuit eventually ended when Metcalf abandoned the vehicle he was driving and began running on foot.

Officers chased the suspect on foot and Metcalf eventually ran into an apartment in the 1300 block of Independence Road. After failing to open the door, officers then forcefully entered the apartment and arrested Metcalf.

The suspect was handcuffed behind his back and placed in the back seat of a Rolla police car.

While officers were processing the crime scene and while Metcalf was momentarily unattended, he managed to escape from the patrol car and ran from officers on foot, still handcuffed behind his back.

A foot pursuit was initiated and Metcalf was again apprehended — this time in the 1500 block of Timber Creek Road.

Metcalf was later incarcerated in the Phelps County Jail.

Assisting the RPD with this incident were officers from the Phelps County Sheriff's Department and Missouri State Highway Patrol.