|
|
The Rolla Daily News - Rolla, MO
  • Board to distribute over $375K to 9 agencies in 2013

  • The Phelps County SB-40 Board for the Developmentally Disabled plans to distribute more than $375,000 to nine local agencies or organizations that provide assistance or services to individuals with developmental disabilities in 2013.
    • email print
  • The Phelps County SB-40 Board for the Developmentally Disabled plans to distribute more than $375,000 to nine local agencies or organizations that provide assistance or services to individuals with developmental disabilities in 2013.
    That is according to a report reviewed by the Phelps County Commission at its March 19 meeting. Board Chair Michael Speak and Vice Chair Jeanne Cavender, along with Brenda Rocoberto, executive director, attended the meeting to share with commissioners highlights from 2012 and their goals for 2013.
    Requests from agencies for this year were reviewed for a final time Dec. 10, 2012. The board, comprised of nine individuals who are appointed by the county commission, agreed to distribute the anticipated 2013 tax money to the following groups:
    Choices for People, $60,844; Sheltered Workshop, $99,000; Kyle Center, $10,375; Gingerbread House, $53,000; Recreation for the Handicapped, $73,900; Camp Brim Shire, $8,666; People First, $6,052; Alternative Opportunities, $5,000; and Phelps County Community Partnership-Capable Kids, $58,962; for a total of $375,799.
    Speak said no new agencies were chosen for this year.
    The board also plans to spend $18,000 of the tax money on recreational expenses, which mainly go to Special Olympics; $9,200 to bring the board’s emergency fund back up to $30,000; and miscellaneous expenses of $1,500.
    Altogether, total tax funds distributed for 2013 will total $404,499. Of this total, $119,219 will be contributed as matching funds under the Missouri Home and Community-Based Waiver (Mental Health Trust Fund). This will allow Phelps County agencies that participate in this program to withdraw more than $326,000 for community integration services for eligible county residents with developmental disabilities.
    According to the board’s 2012 annual report, Phelps County was serving 277 individuals as of Jan. 2, 2013. Of that total, about 120 were in placement, which means they receive 24/7 care. The Department of Mental Health pays 40 percent of the cost for these individuals and the federal government picks up the remaining 60 percent.
    Last year, there were 13 individuals or families who received services through the emergency fund program, which is used to assist families in guardianship, dental care, adaptive equipment, home modifications, family friend services and other emergency situations or one-time help. Rocoberto noted there was not a waiting list for Phelps County last year for this program and there is currently not a waiting list this year.
    Another program under a contract with the state to provide services to people with developmental disabilities is the Partnership for Hope program, which has a goal to dramatically reduce the current waiting list for home and community based services with the Department of Mental Health.
    As of Jan. 2, 2013, there were 36 individuals enrolled in the program and that has grown by 22 people since Jan. 2, 2012. The cost of the service is $137,521.77, with the Phelps County board paying 20 percent of the cost, or $27,504.35. The Department of Mental Health pays for another 20 percent and up to the remaining 60 percent can be funded by the federal government.
    Rocoberto hopes to grow the Partnership for Hope program as funding allows this year. She noted that she is currently working on another work program with the Rolla Area Sheltered Workshop and Alternative Opportunities that would be part of the Partnership for Hope program.
      • calendar