Cold weather and few outside practice days didn’t get in the way of the Bulldog track team during their first meet of the year Tuesday against Salem. The Rolla boys won 15 of 18 events and scored 104 points, while the Rolla girls won 16 of 18 events and scored 108 points.
"Considering the cold weather and this being our first meet and only about our 5th day outside, we had some very good performances," said Don Knapp, Rolla’s track coach. "It was good to get a meet in despite the colder weather. Our kids needed to compete at this point."
Knapp said that in spite of many young athletes on the team, the cold weather issues and not being able to spend much time outside on the track, he is happy with how his team is progressing.
“We look to be ahead of last year at this point.”
"We had many nice opening season performances,” said Knapp. “Especially in the younger athletes."
Leading scorers for the boys team were:
• Aaron Froehlich - 15 points, won two events a relay.
• Alex McCormack - 13 points, won two events and two relays.
• Jordan Kaden - 13 points, won two events and two relays.
• Hunter Short - eight points, won one event and two relays.
• James Kosbar - eight points, won one event and two relays.
Other event winners for Rolla Boys were: Beket Edwards, Dalton Rebenau, and Ben Maples.
Leading scorers for the girls team were:
• Sophia Holmes - 13 points, won two events and two relays.
• Shannon McCaul - 12 points, won two events and one relay.
• Gabe Otte - 11 points, won one event and two scoring events.
• Madison Bartle - 10 points, won two events.
• Kayla Reed - 10 points, won two events.
• Jade DeShurley - 8 points, won one event and a relay.
Other event winners for Rolla girls were: Katie Brow and Leah Barks.