A family of six was displaced by a mobile home fire on the morning of New Year’s Day east of Rolla.
Billy Pankey, his wife and four children escaped the fire with no injuries, according to St. James Fire Protection District Chief Bruce Parton.
The blaze, which was reported around 7:46 a.m., is believed to have started in a wood stove in the center of the mobile home located at 14475 County Road 3240.
“We arrived on the scene ... and the whole center of the mobile home was engulfed and smoke was coming out of the two ends,” the chief said.
Parton said when the blaze was reported, the occupants stated that fire was coming from the stove pipe.
“It’s a total loss,” Parton said of the damage to the structure.
According to the chief, one of the family members woke up around 7:30 a.m., put some wood in the stove and then went back to bed. Parton said a daughter then woke up, saw the fire and got the rest of the family members out of the home.
St. James fire crews were on the scene for about two hours. A total of 14 St. James firefighters were assisted by four firefighters and a tanker from the Rolla Rural Fire Protection District.
While the mobile home has a Rolla address, the home is located with the St. James Fire Protection District.
The American Red Cross Heart of Missouri Chapter is assisting the Pankey family. According to a press release from the Red Cross, the family secured their own temporary lodging.
Firefighters in the southern portion of Phelps County responded to another fire that burned a home New Year’s Day in the 1200 block of County Road 6050, northeast of Edgar Springs.
Information on this fire was not available by press time. According to the Red Cross, one individual was displaced from that residence.