The Missouri General Assembly’s Joint Committee on Education will hold a public hearing on funding for higher education at Missouri University of Science and Technology.
The meeting will be held from 1-3 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 14, in St. Pat’s C of the Havener Center on the Missouri S&T campus. The meeting is open to the public.
The hearing on campus is one of several hearings that the Joint Committee on Education, chaired by Sen. David Pearce of Missouri's 31st Senatorial District, is holding to gather public input on developing a funding model for the state’s public colleges and universities.
The General Assembly is expected to implement a funding model beginning with the 2014-2015 fiscal year.
Anyone interested in testifying before the committee should contact Stacey Preis at 573-572-7987 to notify the committee in advance.
Witnesses are asked to focus on five areas in their testimony:
• What are the essential functions of higher education?
• What are the shared goals of the institutions? What are their unique goals?
• Are the missions of the institutions consistent with their missions as outlined in statute? If not, how do they differ?
• How can higher education institutions most effectively contribute to Missouri's educational and economic policy goals?
• What are the indicators that higher education institutions are serving Missouri well?